This year of the Narrative Lectionary affords us a unique opportunity. It is year 3 that focuses on the Gospel of Luke, so we get to end Advent and preach Christmas as the natural beginning point of our journey through this Gospel. I have been on vacation for the past two weeks, so I missed the launch last week, but I return to work tomorrow and will preach on Christmas morning (the senior pastor gets to preach five times on Christmas Eve).
So, in preparation for this beautiful journey through the Luke-Acts narrative, I thought I would pull together some resources so that you can dig in with me.
The Bible Bookshelf. This is my ongoing pet project. I have been slowly building a library of artwork and writing for all the books of the Bible. If you peruse through the shelves you will see that some books have a ton of material while others are still waiting. The original goal for this was to keep it contained to my own work, but now I have begun to create links to other sites. Feel free to browse and share.[divider]
The Bible Project. If you follow me at all, you know that these guys are my current heroes. They combine art and Bible scholarship in an amazing way. There are three resources specifically for Luke that they offer:
- The Read Scripture series. I’ve embedded those videos on my Bible Bookshelf.
- Their current podcast is working through Luke.
- They are about to launch a five-part fully animated series on Luke. I can’t wait for this to be released. I will post about them as soon as they come out.[divider]
Enter the Bible. This is the online Bible resource produced by Luther Seminary. This is good scholarship.[divider]
The Narrative Lectionary. These are the founding scholars of the NL. They produce a weekly commentary and podcast that is very helpful.[divider]
Grace Learning Center. This is an online forum in which you can listen to the sermons and interact with others about the Big Idea.[divider]
Here is a quick index to every post I’ve written about the Gospel of Luke:
[toggle title_open=”View all Luke related posts” title_closed=”View all Luke related posts” hide=”yes” border=”yes” style=”default” excerpt_length=”0″ read_more_text=”Read More” read_less_text=”Read Less” include_excerpt_html=”no”]
- The Narrow Door | A Sermon from Luke 13:22-30 for our partners in Guatemala
- The “Good” Samaritan? | A Sermon from Luke 10:25-37
- A Cartoonist’s Guide to the Good Samaritan in Luke 10:25-37
- A Cartoonist’s Guide to Luke 15 | Parables of Lost and Found
- A Deeper Love | A Sermon for Advent 4 from Luke 1:46-55
- Who Brings Down the Mighty?
- A Deeper Hope | Sermon for Advent 1 from Psalm 25 and Luke 21:25-36
- Preparing to Light the Candle of Peace for Advent 2
- Grateful | A Sermon on Generosity and Thanksgiving from Luke 17:11-19 and Deuteronomy 26:1-11
- A Visual Meditation on Thanksgiving
- Worship Beyond Time, Space, and Religious Boundaries | A Sermon from A Deep Life
- All Hallow’s Eve | A Visual Meditation on All Saints Day Worship
- Overcome (by) Grief
- Overcome (by) Depression
- An Introduction to Reading the Gospels
- Worship Fully | Part One in the Advent Conspiracy Series
- Why Conspire at Advent?
- How You Live Matters | A Sermon on Law and Gospel from the CORE Series
- A Visual Meditation on Law and Gospel
- Jesus is God’s Best Idea Ever | A Sermon from the CORE Series
- A Visual Meditation on Why Jesus is God’s Best Idea Ever
- The Cross, The Gaze, The Table…and Eyes are Opened
- Dinner is Served
- Salvation Has Come | A Sermon on Luke 18:31-19:10
- A Visual and Missional Commentary on Luke 18:31-19:10
- Is Zacchaeus a Person of Peace? Reading Luke 19:1-10 through a Missional Lens
- The Blueprint for Creation
- …a great chasm… | A Sermon on Lazarus and the Rich Man from Luke 16:19-31
- A Visual Commentary on Luke 16 | The Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man
- But, God Knows Your Hearts
- A Visual Guide to the Prodigal Son in Luke 15:1, 11-32
- When Saying No Means Saying Yes | A Devo on Luke 14:25-35
- God’s Loving Absence | A Devo on Luke 12:35-48
- Are You Listening? | A Sermon on Luke 10:25-42 from the Narrative Lectionary
- A Visual Commentary on Luke 10:25-42 from the Narrative Lectionary
- We Become the God We Worship
- Where Glory Dwells | A Sermon on the Transfiguration from Luke 9:28-45
- A Visual Commentary on Luke 9:21-45 | The Transfiguration
- Who is at the Table? | A Sermon from Luke 7:36-50
- A Visual Commentary on Luke 7:36-50
- Failed Expectations and Deeper Conversions
- Faith and Compassion | A Sermon on Luke 7:1-17 from the Narrative Lectionary
- A Visual Commentary on Luke 6:17-49
- and stood on a level place | A Devo on Luke 6:17-26
- For What We are Paid, and What We are Made | A Devo in the Shadow of the Inauguration
- A Call to Follow | A Devo on Luke 5:1-11
- Good News, Bad News | A Sermon on Luke 4:16-30
- Jesus, Vengeance, and How to Read Scripture
- A Visual Commentary on Luke 4:16-30 from the Narrative Lectionary
- Observations from Luke 4:16-30
- Igniting the Kingdom Life | A Sermon from Luke 3:1-22 in the Narrative Lectionary
- Waiting in Obscurity | A Devo on Luke 2:39-52
- A Comparison of Luke 3 with Matthew 3 | John the Baptist and Jesus’ Baptism
- What’s in a Name?
- Who Has the Power?
- Blessed is She Who Believed
- Resources to Help You as We Preach through the Gospel of Luke
- How Much Should We Give? | A Sermon on Giving
- Gratitude, Giving, and the Essence of the Church
- Prayer and Independence | A Sermon for Independence Day from Luke 11:2-4
- Can You Call God Father?
- Live Art and Scripture Community Event at Christ the King
- Managing Fear and Doubt | A Sermon for Advent 4 from Luke 1:5-25, 67-80
- The Glory of Christmas
- Fear and Doubt, Our Constant Companions
- One Said Thank You | A Sketch for Thanksgiving from Luke 17:11-17
- What I Should Have Said About the Gospel Reading on Sunday
- Bible Mania Session 8 Now Online! Crossing the Great Divide
- Tables and Gates | A Sermon on The Rich Man and Lazarus from Luke 16:19-31 | Lent 4
- Lost | A Sermon on Luke 15:1-32 | Lent 3
- Where’s the Fruit | a Sermon on Luke 13:1-9, 31-35 | Lent 2
- The Glory of Christmas | A Sermon on Christmas Morning | Luke 2:8-20
- Conversations…What is new wine in new wineskins all about?
- Week 42 Day 5 – The True Kingdom of God
- Week 42 Day 4 – Who’s Number One?
- Week 42 Day 3 – Don’t Worry About It
- Week 42 Day 2 – An Open Door Policy
- Week 42 Day 1 – What’s the Draw
- Week 41 Day 5 – Hard Following
- Week 41 Day 4 – It’s All About Overflow
- Week 41 Day 3 – The Measuring Cup
- Week 41 Day 2 – Profile of a Citizen
- Week 41 Day 1 – A Big Catch
I hope you will follow along as we preach through this amazing account of Jesus’ life and ministry.